My Migraine Plan is a two-step plan featuring specific triggers that I eliminated and regular habbits that I added into my daily routine. Below I list the specific eliminations and additions that lead me to a migraine-free life. I eliminated all the medications and foods listed and saw a difference within a week. The things listed in the addition plan are all things that contribute to my overall health and prevent migraines.
Medications I eliminated:
1. Triptans (a migraine med that causes rebound headaches)
2. Hormonal Contraception (hormones, especially estrogens are a trigger)
*See Migraine Meds for reasons behind these eliminations, other meds I would have considered eliminating, and what meds I still use.
Foods I eliminated:
4. Processed Meats (no nitrates or nitrites)
5. Aged Cheeses
7. Sour Cream
9. All nuts and nut butters
10. Red wine, champagne, beer (I drink vodka only)
11. Citrus fruits and their juices
12. Bananas, raisins, dried fruits preserved with sulfites, raspberries, plums, papayas, passion fruit, figs, dates, and avocados
13. Sauerkraut, onion (I substitute leeks, green onion and shallots), pea pods and beans (I eat green beans but no podded beans)
14. Fresh yeast-risen baked goods
15. Fake sweeteners
1. Regularly exercising
I try to get 30 minutes of cardio in 5 times a week.
2. Regularly sleeping-- aiming for 8 hours
I try to go t bed every night at the same time and wake every morning at the same time.
3. Regularly eating
I never skip a meal. I take a snack that I can eat if it might be longer than 3 hours between meals.
4. Regularly hydrating
I make sure to drink plenty of water. I drink more when exercising, when it is hot, and if I am drinking a vodka.
5. Regularly feeding the soul
I attend church. I play tennis with friends. I have soul-searching conversations with good friends. I laugh and play with my children and dogs. I also believe these things all help me cope and decrease stress in my life. --They make my soul happy.